REGULATIONS FOR THE SAFETY INSPECTION OF FARM VEHICLES
This Part is promulgated pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-3-31.
The purpose of this Part is to prescribe conditions for the inspection and registration of farm vehicles, which may be operated in the State of Rhode Island.
A. For the purposes of this Part, the following terms shall have the following meaning:
1. “Farmer” means any party engaged principally or substantially in the occupation of farming or of raising horses, poultry or logs on land owned or controlled by him, as evidenced by a Rhode Island Sales Tax exemption certificate or Internal Revenue Service Form 1040, Schedule F.
2. “Farming” means the production of agricultural products, including but not limited to field or orchard crops, livestock, dairy, poultry or products thereof, vineyards, turf farms, fish hatcheries, and aqua farms.
3. “Farm tractor” means every motor vehicle designed and used primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing machines, and other implements of husbandry.
4. “Farm vehicle” means every vehicle which is designed for and used for agricultural purposes and used by the owner of the vehicle or family member(s) or employee(s) or designees of the owner, in the conduct of the owner's agricultural operations, which use shall include the delivery of agricultural products produced by the farmer but shall not include commercial hire for nonagricultural uses, including, but not limited to, hauling of sand and gravel, snow plowing, land clearing for other than agricultural purposes or directly on the vehicle owner's farm, and landscaping. For an owner to qualify as having agricultural purposes, the owner shall provide evidence that he or she meets the requirements of R.I. Gen. Laws § 44-18-30.
6.4 Registration of Farm Vehicles – Registration Card
A. Photograph of Farm Vehicle Required
1. Every applicant for a farm vehicle registration plate shall provide the Division for Motor Vehicles with the information required in R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-3-3. In addition, each applicant shall provide the Division for Motor Vehicles with a photograph [not less than three (3) inches x three (3) inches in size] of each vehicle being registered as a farm vehicle, at the time the vehicle is initially registered, and following any change in the color of the vehicle or other major change in appearance.
B. Registration Card
1. Every recipient of a farm vehicle registration plate shall also be issued a registration card by the Division of Motor Vehicles. This card shall contain upon the face thereof the date issued, the name and address of the owner, the registration number assigned to the vehicle, such description of the vehicle and any restrictions for said vehicle as determined by the deputy director for motor vehicles and upon the reverse side a form for endorsement of notice to the registry upon transfer of the vehicle.
C. Proof Required
1. Before any application for registration or re-registration of a farm vehicle is accepted by the Division of Motor Vehicles, proof must be provided that the applicant is engaged substantially in the occupation of farming. Sufficient proof of same shall consist of either a sales tax exemption certificate from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation, or a copy of the most recent Internal Revenue Service tax form 1040, Schedule F, filed by the applicant.
6.5 Farm Tractors
A. Minimum Requirements for Farm Tractors
1. Farm tractors as defined in R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-1-4(a) and other self-propelled units of farm equipment used exclusively for agricultural purposes, except automobiles and trucks, which are operated at night (between the hours of one-half (1/2) hour after sunset through one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise) on the highway shall be equipped with the following:
a. Two (2) single or multiple beam headlamps meeting the requirements of R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 31-24-22 and 31-24-24;
b. Two (2) red tail lamps or flashing lamps meeting the requirements of R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 31-24-7 and 31-24-9, inclusively;
c. Brakes, as manufactured, on the original equipment; and
d. Slow moving vehicle emblem.
2. Farm tractors operated during daylight hours (between the hours of one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise through one-half (1/2) hour before sunset) shall be equipped with the following:
a. Two (2) red tail lamps or flashing lamps meeting the requirements of R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 31-24-7 and 31-24-9, inclusively;
b. Brakes as manufactured; and
c. Slow moving vehicle emblem.
6.6 Inspection of Combinations of Vehicles
A. Minimum Requirements for Combinations of Vehicles
1. Every combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment or towed implement shall, if operated on the highways of this state between the hours of one half (1/2) hour after sunset and one half (1/2) hour before sunrise or at any time when visibility is impaired beyond five hundred (500) feet, be equipped with lights and reflectors as follows:
a. The farm tractor shall be equipped as required in § 6.5 of this Part;
b. If the towed unit or its load extends more than four (4) feet to the rear of the tractor or obscures any light thereon, said unit shall be equipped on the rear with at least two (2) red reflectors visible for all distances within six-hundred (600) feet to one hundred (100) feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps;
c. If the towed unit of such combination extends more than four (4) feet to the left of the center line of the tractor, said unit shall be equipped on the front with the amber reflector visible from all distances within six hundred (600) feet to one hundred (100) feet to the front when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps. This reflector shall be positioned so as to indicate as nearly as practicable, the extreme left projection of the towed unit;
d. The two (2) red reflectors required in § 6.5 of this Part shall be so positioned as to show from the rear, as nearly as practicable, the extreme width of the vehicle or combination carrying them. Provided that all other provisions are met, reflective tape or paint may be used in lieu of the reflectors required by § 6.5 of this Part.
6.7 Inspection of Other Farm Vehicles
A. Farm Vehicle Inspection Requirements
1. All vehicles registered as farm vehicles under R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-3-31, except farm tractors, shall be subject to the provisions of R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-38-1 et seq.
6.8 Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem Required
A. Emblem Required
1. Every farm vehicle designed for operation at speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour shall at all times be equipped with a slow moving vehicle emblem mounted on the rear.
2. Every combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment normally operating at speed not in excess of twenty-five (25) miles per hour shall at all times be equipped with a slow moving vehicle emblem plainly visible to the rear.
6.9 Size, Weight, and Load Limits
A. Farm Vehicle Exemption
1. All farm vehicles temporarily moved upon the highways of this State shall be exempt from the provisions of R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-25-1 et seq.
6.10 Penalty for Misuse of Farm Registration Plate
A. Misuse of Farm Registration Plate
1. Every farm vehicle is subject to all existing laws and regulations not inconsistent with these rules and regulations.
B. Penalty Provided
1. All violations of these sections shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred ($500) dollars, and if any owner of farm vehicles violates the provisions of these regulations, said violation may result in the revocation of the owner’s farm registration plate, for a period not to exceed one (1) year.
If any provision of these Rules and Regulations or the application thereof to any person or circumstances shall be held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect the provisions or application of the rules and regulations which can be given effect, and to this end, the provisions of these rules and regulations are declared to be severable.
|Title||280||Department of Revenue|
|Chapter||30||Division of Motor Vehicles|
|Subchapter||15||Safety and Emissions|
|Part||6||REGULATIONS FOR THE SAFETY INSPECTION OF FARM VEHICLES|
|Type of Filing||Amendment|
Regulation Authority :
R.I. Gen. Laws § 31-3-31
Purpose and Reason :
The purpose of this regulation is to prescribe conditions for the inspection and registration of farm vehicles.