Proxies, Consents and Authorizations of Domestic Stock Insurers
4.1 Application of Part
This Part is applicable to all domestic stock insurers having one hundred (100) or more stockholders; provided, however, that this Part shall not apply to any insurer if ninety-five percent (95%) or more of its stock is owned or controlled by a parent or an affiliated insurer and the remaining shares are held by less than five hundred (500) stockholders. A domestic stock insurer which files with the Securities and Exchange Commission forms of proxies, consents and authorizations complying with the requirements of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 and the Securities and Exchange Acts Amendments of 1964 and Regulation 14A of the Securities and Exchange Commission promulgated thereunder shall be exempt from the provisions of this Part.
4.2 Proxies, Consents and Authorizations
No domestic stock insurer, or any director, officer or employee of such insurer subject to § 4.1 of this Part, or any other person, shall solicit, or permit the use of his name to solicit, by mail or otherwise, any proxy, consent or authorization in respect of any stock of such insurer in contravention of this Part and §§ 4.11 and 4.12 of this Part.
4.3 Disclosure of Equivalent Information
Unless proxies, consents or authorizations in respect of a stock of a domestic insurer subject to § 4.1 of this Part hereof are solicited by or on behalf of the management of such insurer from the holders of record of stock of such insurer in accordance with this Part prior to any annual or other meeting, such insurer shall, in accordance with this Part and/or such further regulations as the Commissioner may adopt, file with the Commissioner and transmit to all stockholders of record information substantially equivalent to the information which would be required to be transmitted if a solicitation were made.
A. The definitions and instructions set out in Schedule SIS, as promulgated by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, shall be applicable for purposes of this Part.
B. The terms "solicit" and "solicitation" for purposes of this Part shall include:
1. any request for a proxy, whether or not accompanied by or included in a form of proxy; or
2. any request to execute or not to execute, or to revoke, a proxy; or
3. the furnishing of a proxy or other communication to stockholders under circumstances reasonably calculated to result in the procurement, withholding or revocation of a proxy.
C. The terms "solicit" and "solicitation" shall not include:
1. any solicitation by a person in respect of stock of which he is the beneficial owner;
2. action by a broker or other person in respect to stock carried in his name or in the name of his nominee in forwarding to the beneficial owner of such stock soliciting material received from the company, or impartially instructing such beneficial owner to forward a proxy to the person, if any, to whom the beneficial owner desires to give a proxy, or impartially requesting instructions from the beneficial owner with respect to the authority to be conferred by the proxy and stating that a proxy will be given if the instructions are received by a certain date;
3. the furnishing of a form of proxy to a stockholder upon the unsolicited request of such stockholder, or the performance by any person of ministerial acts on behalf of a person soliciting a proxy.
4.5 Information to be Furnished to Stockholders
A. No solicitation subject to this Part shall be made unless each person solicited is concurrently furnished or has previously been furnished with a written proxy statement containing the information specified in § 4.11 of this Part.
B. If the solicitation is made on behalf of the management of the insurer and relates to an annual meeting of stockholders at which directors are to be elected, each proxy statement furnished pursuant to § 4.5(A) of this Part shall be accompanied or preceded by an annual report (in preliminary or final form) to such stockholders containing such financial statements for the last fiscal year as are referred to in Schedule SIS under the heading "Financial Reporting to Stockholders." Subject to the foregoing requirements with respect to financial statements, the annual report to stockholders may be in any form deemed suitable by the management.
C. Two copies of each report sent to the stockholders pursuant to this section shall be mailed to the Department, not later than the date on which such report is first sent or given to stockholders or the date on which preliminary copies of solicitation material are filed with the Department, pursuant to § 4.7(A) of this Part, whichever date is later.
4.6 Requirements as to Proxy
A. The form of proxy shall:
1. Indicate in bold-face type whether or not the proxy is solicited on behalf of the management;
2. Provide a specifically designated blank space for dating the proxy and
3. Identify clearly and impartially each matter or group of related matters intended to be acted upon, whether proposed by the management, or stockholders.
B. Means shall be provided in
the proxy for the person solicited to specify by ballot a choice
between approval or disapproval of each matter or group of related
matters referred to therein, other than elections to office. A proxy
may confer discretionary authority with respect to matters as to
which a choice is not so specified if the form of proxy states in
-face type how it is intended to vote the shares
or authorization represented by the proxy in each case.
C. A proxy may confer discretionary authority with respect to other matters which may come before the meeting, provided the persons on whose behalf the solicitation is made are not aware, a reasonable time prior to the time the solicitation, is made that any other matters are to be presented for action at the meeting and provided further that a specific statement to that effect is made in the proxy statement or in the form of proxy.
D. No proxy shall confer authority to vote for the election of any person to any office for which a bona fide nominee is not named in the proxy statement, or to vote at any annual meeting other than the next annual meeting (or any adjournment thereof) to be held after the date on which the proxy statement and form of proxy are first sent or given to stockholders.
E. The proxy statement or form of proxy shall provide, subject to reasonable specified conditions, that the proxy will be voted and that where the person solicited specifies by means of ballot provided pursuant to § 4.6(B) of this Part a choice with respect to any matter to be acted upon, the vote will be in accordance with the specifications so made.
F. The information included in the proxy statement shall be clearly presented and the statements made shall be divided into groups according to subject matter, with appropriate headings. All printed proxy statements shall be clearly and legibly presented.
4.7 Material Required to be Filed
A. Two (2) preliminary copies of the proxy statement and form of proxy and any other soliciting material to be furnished to stockholders concurrently therewith shall be filed with the Department at least ten days prior to the date definitive copies of such material are first sent or given to stockholders, or such a shorter period prior to that date as the Department may authorize upon a showing of good cause therefor.
B. Two (2) preliminary copies
of any additional soliciting material relating to the same meeting or
subject matter to be furnished to stockholders
C. Two (2) definitive copies of the proxy statement, form of proxy and all other soliciting material in the form in which this material is furnished to stockholders, shall be filed with, or mailed for filing to, the Department not later that the date such material is first sent or given to the stockholders.
D. Where any proxy statement, form of proxy or other material filed pursuant to these rules is amended or revised, two of the copies shall be marked to clearly show such changes.
E. Copies of replies to
inquiries from stockholders
F. Notwithstanding the provisions of § 4.7(A) and (B) and § 4.10(E) of this Part, copies of soliciting material in the form of speeches, press releases and radio or television scripts may, but need not, be filed with the Department prior to use or publication. Definitive copies, however, shall be filed with or mailed for filing to the Department, as required by § 4.7(C) of this Part not later than the date such material is used or published. The provisions of § 4.7(A) and (B) of this Part and of § 4.10(E) of this Part shall apply, however, to any reprints or reproductions of all or any part of such material.
4.8 False or Misleading Statements
No solicitation subject to this Part shall be made by means of any proxy statement, form of proxy, notice of meeting, or other communication, written or oral, containing any statement which, at the time and in the light of the circumstances under which it is made, is false or misleading with respect to any material fact, or which omits to state any material fact necessary in order to make the statements therein not false or misleading or necessary to correct any statement in any earlier communication with respect to the solicitation of a proxy for the same meeting or subject matter which has become false or misleading.
4.9 Prohibition of Certain Solicitation.
No person making a solicitation which is subject to this Part shall solicit any undated or postdated proxy or any proxy which provides that it shall be deemed to be dated as of any date subsequent to the date on which it is signed by the stockholder.
4.10 Special Provisions Applicable to Election Contests
A. Applicability. This section shall apply to any solicitation subject to this Part by any person or group for the purpose of opposing a solicitation subject to this Part by any other person or group with respect to the election or removal of directors at any annual or special meeting of stockholders.
B. Participant or Participant in a Solicitation
1. For purposes of this section the terms “participant” and “participant in a solicitation” include:
a. The insurer;
b. Any director of the insurer, and any nominee for whose election as a director proxies are solicited;
c. Any other person, acting alone or with one or more other persons, committees or groups, in organizing, directing or financing the solicitation.
2. For the purposes of this section the terms “participant” and “participant in a solicitation” do not include:
a. A bank, broker or dealer who, in the ordinary course of business, lends money or executes orders for the purchase or sale of stock and who is not otherwise a participant;
b. Any person or organization retained or employed by a participant to solicit stockholders or any person who merely transmits proxy soliciting material or performs ministerial or clerical duties;
c. Any person employed in the capacity of attorney, accountant, or advertising, public relations or financial adviser, and whose activities are limited to the performance of his duties in the course of such employment;
d. Any person regularly employed as an officer or employee of the insurer or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates who is not otherwise a participant; or
e. Any officer or director of, or any person regularly employed by any other participant, if such officer, director, or employee is not otherwise a participant.
C. Filing of Information Required by § 4.12 of this Part.
1. No solicitation subject to
this section shall be made by any person other than the management of
an insurer unless at least five business days prior thereto, or such
shorter period as the Department may authorize upon a showing of good
cause, there has been filed, with the Department, by or on behalf of
each participant in such solicitation, a statement in duplicate
2. Within five (5) business days after a solicitation subject to this section is made by the management of an insurer, or such longer period as the Department may authorize upon a showing of good cause, there shall be filed with the Department by or on behalf of each participant in such solicitation, other than the insurer, and by or on behalf of each management nominee for director, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified by § 4.12 of this Part.
3. If any solicitation on behalf of management or any other person has been made, or if proxy material is ready for distribution, prior to a solicitation subject to this section in opposition thereto, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified in § 4.12 of this Part, shall be filed with the Department, by or on behalf of each participant in such prior solicitation, other than the insurer, as soon as reasonable practicable after the commencement of the solicitation in opposition thereto.
4. If, subsequent to the filing of the statements required by § 4.10(C)(1), (2) and (3) of this Part above, additional persons become participants in a solicitation subject to this rule, there shall be filed with the Department, by or on behalf of each such person, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified by § 4.12 of this Part, within three (3) business days after such person becomes a participant, or such longer period as the Department may authorize upon a showing of good cause therefor.
5. If any material change occurs in the facts reported in any statement filed by or on behalf of any participant, an appropriate amendment to such statement shall be filed promptly with the Department.
6. Each statement and amendment thereto filed pursuant to this paragraph shall be part of the public files of the Department.
D. Solicitations Prior to
Furnishing Required Written Proxy Statement. Notwithstanding the
provisions of § 4.5(A) of this Part, a solicitation subject to
this section may be made prior to furnishing stockholders
1. The statements required by § 4.10(C) of this Part are filed by or on behalf of each participant in such solicitation.
2. No form of proxy is
furnished to stockholders
3. At least the information specified in § 4.10(C)(2) & (3) of this Part to be filed by each participant, or an appropriate summary thereof, are included in each communication sent or given to stockholders in connection with the solicitation.
4. A written proxy statement containing the information specified in § 14.11 of this Part, with respect to a solicitation is sent or given stockholders at the earliest practicable date.
E. Solicitations Prior to
Furnishing Required Written Proxy Statement – Filing
Requirements. Two (2) copies of any soliciting materials proposed to
be sent or given to stockholders
F. Application of this Section to Report. Notwithstanding the provisions of § 4.5(B) & (C) of this Part, a copy of any portion of the report referred to in § 4.5(B) of this Part which comments upon or refers to any solicitation subject to this section, or to any participant in any such solicitation, other than the solicitation by the management, shall be filed with the, Department as proxy material subject to this Part. Such portion of the report shall be filed with the Department, in preliminary form, at least five (5) business days prior to the date copies of the report are first sent or given to stockholders.
4.11 Information Required in Proxy Statement
A. Item 1. Revocability of Proxy. State whether or not the person giving the proxy has the power to revoke it. If the right of revocation before the proxy is exercised is limited or is subject to compliance with any formal procedure, briefly describe such limitation or procedure.
B. Item 2. Dissenters’ Right of Appraisal. Outline briefly the rights of appraisal or similar tights of dissenting stockholders with respect to any matter to be acted upon and indicate any statutory procedure required to be followed by such stockholders in order to perfect their rights. Where such rights may be exercised only within a limited time after the date of the adoption of a proposal, the filing of a charter amendment, or other similar act, state whether the person solicited will be notified of such date.
C. Item 3. Persons Making Solicitation Not Subject to § 4.10 of this Part.
1. If the solicitation is made by the management of the insurer, so state. Give the name of any director of the insurer who has informed the management in writing that he intends to oppose any action intended to be taken by the management and indicate the action which he intends to oppose.
2. If the solicitation is made otherwise than by the management of the insurer, state the names and addresses of the persons by whom and on whose behalf, it is made and the names and addresses of the persons by whom the cost of solicitation has been or will be borne, directly or indirectly.
3. If the solicitation is to be made by specially engaged employees or paid solicitors, state
a. the material features of any contract or arrangement for such solicitation and identify the parties, and
b. the cost or anticipated cost thereof.
D. Item 4. Interest of Certain Persons in Matters to be Acted Upon. Describe briefly any substantial interest, direct or indirect, by stockholdings or otherwise, of any director, nominee for election for director, officer and, if the solicitation is made otherwise than on behalf of management, each person on whose behalf the solicitation is made, in any matter to be acted upon other than election to office.
E. Item 5. Stocks and Principal Stockholders.
1. State, as to each class of voting stock of the insurer entitled to be voted at the meeting, the number of shares outstanding and the number of votes to which each class is entitled.
2. Give the date as of which the record list of stockholders entitled to vote at the meeting will be determined. If the right to vote is not limited to stockholders of record on that date, indicate the conditions under which other stockholders may be entitled to vote.
3. If action is to be taken with respect to the election of directors and if the persons solicited have cumulative voting rights, make a statement that they have such rights and state briefly the conditions precedent to the exercise thereof.
F. Item 6. Nominees and Directors. If action is to be taken with respect to the election of directors furnish the following information, in tabular form to the extent practicable, with respect to each person nominated for election as a director and each other person whose term of office as a director will continue after the meeting:
1. Name each such person, state when his term of office or the term of office for which he is a nominee will expire, and all other positions and offices with the insurer presently held by him, and indicate which persons are nominees for election as director at the meeting.
2. State his present principal occupation or employment and give the name and principal business of any corporation or other organization in which such employment is carried on. Furnish similar information as to all of his principal occupations or employments during the last five years, unless he is now a director and was elected to his present term of office by a vote of stockholders at a meeting for which proxies were solicited under this Part.
3. If he is or has previously been a director of the insurer, state the period or periods during which he has served as such.
4. State, as of the most recent practicable date, the approximate amount of each class of stock of the insurer or any of its parents, subsidiaries or affiliates other that directors’ qualifying shares, beneficially owned directly or indirectly by him. If he is not the beneficial owner of any such stock make a statement to that effect.
G. Item 7. Remuneration and Other Transactions with Management and Others. Furnish the information reported or required in Item One of Schedule SIS under the heading “Information Regarding Management and Directors” if action is to be taken with respect to the election of directors, any remuneration plan, contract or arrangement in which any director, nominee for election as a director, or officer of the insurer will participate, any pension or retirement plan in which any such person will participate, or the granting or extension to any such person of any options, warrants or rights to purchase any stocks, other than warrants or rights issued to stockholders, as such, on a pro rata basis. If the solicitation is made on behalf of persons other than the management information shall be furnished only as to Item One-A of the aforesaid heading of Schedule SIS.
H. Item 8. Bonus, Profit sharing and Other Remuneration Plans. If action is to be taken with respect to any bonus, profit sharing, or other remuneration plan, of the insurer furnish the following information:
1. A brief description of the material features of the plan, each class of persons who will participate therein, the approximate number of persons in each such class, and the basis of such participation.
2. The amounts which would have been distributable under the plan during the last calendar year to:
a. each person named in item seven of this schedule,
b. directors and officers as a group, and
c. to all other employees as a group, if the plan had been in effect.
3. If the plan to be acted upon nay be amended (other than by a vote of stockholders) in a manner which would materially increase the cost thereof to the insurer or to materially alter the allocation of the benefits as between the groups specified in §4.11(H)(2) of this Part, the nature of such amendments should be specified.
I. Item 9. Pension and Retirement Plan. If action is to be taken with respect to any pension or retirement plan of the insurer, furnish the following information:
1. A brief description of the material features of the plan, each class of persons who will participate therein, the approximate number of persons in each such class, and the basis of such participation.
a. the approximate total amount necessary to fund the plan with respect to past services, the period over which such amount is to be paid, and the estimated annual payments necessary to pay the total amount over such period;
b. the estimated annual payment to be made with respect to current services; and
c. the amount of such annual payments to be made for the benefit of:
(1) each person named in item seven of this schedule,
(2) director and officers as a group, and
(3) employees as a group.
3. If the plan to be acted upon may be amended (other than by a vote of stockholders) in a manner which would materially increase the cost thereof to the insurer or to materially alter the allocation of the benefits as between the group specified in § 4.11(I)(2)(c) of this Part, the nature of such amendments should be specified.
J. Item 10. Options, Warrants, or Rights. If action is to be taken with respect to the granting or extension of any options, warrants or rights (all referred to herein as “warrants”) to purchase stock of the insurer or any subsidiary or affiliate, other than warrants issued to all stockholders on a pro rata basis, furnish the following information:
1. The title and amount of stock called for or to be called for, the prices, expiration dates and other material conditions upon which the warrants may be exercised, the consideration received or to be received by the insurer, subsidiary or affiliate for the granting or extension of the warrants and the market value of the stock called for or to be called for by the warrants, as of the latest practicable date.
2. If known, state separately the amount of stock called for or to be called for by warrants received or to be received by the following persons, naming each such person:
a. each person named in item seven of this schedule, and
b. each other person who will be entitled to acquire five per cent or more of the stock called for or to be called for by such warrants.
3. If known, state also the total amount of stock called for or to be called for by such warrants, received or to be received by all directors and officers of the company as a group and all employees, without naming them.
K. Item 11. Authorization or Issuance of Stock.
1. If action is to be taken with respect to the authorization or issuance of any stock of the insurer furnish toe title, amount and description of the stock to be authorized or issued.
2. If the shares of stock are other than additional shares of common stock of a class outstanding, furnish a brief summary of the following, if applicable: dividend, voting, liquidation, preemptive, and conversion rights, redemption and sinking fund provisions, interest rate and date of maturity.
3. If the shares of stock to be authorized or issued are other than additional shares of common stock of a class outstanding, the commissioner may require financial statements comparable to those contained in the annual report.
L. Item 12. Mergers, Consolidation, Acquisitions and Similar Matters.
1. If action is to be taken with respect to a merger, consolidation, acquisition, or similar matter, furnish in brief outline the following information:
a. The rights of appraisal or similar rights of dissenters with respect to any matters to be acted upon. Indicate any procedure required to be followed by dissenting stockholders in order to perfect such rights.
b. The material features of the plan or agreement.
c. The business done by the company to be acquired or whose assets are being acquired.
d. If available, the high and low sales prices for each quarterly period within two years.
e. The percentage of outstanding shares which must approve the transaction before it is consummated.
2. For each company involved in a merger, consolidation or acquisition, the following financial statements should be furnished:
a. A comparative balance sheet as of the close of the last two fiscal years.
b. A comparative statement of operating income and expenses for each of the last two fiscal years and, as a continuation of each statement, a statement of earnings per share after related taxes and cash dividends paid per share.
c. A pro forma combined balance sheet and income and expenses statement for the last fiscal year giving effect to the necessary adjustments with respect to the resulting company.
M. Item 13. Restatement of Accounts. If action is to be taken with respect to the restatement of any asset, capital, or surplus of the insurer, furnish the following information:
1. State the nature of the restatement and the date as of which it is to be effective.
2. Outline briefly the reasons for the restatement and for the selection of the particular effective date.
3. State the name and amount of each account affected by the restatement and the effect of the restatement thereon.
N. Item 14. Matters not Required to be Submitted. If action is to be taken with respect to any matter which is not required to be submitted to a vote of stockholders, state the nature of such matter, the reason for submitting it to a vote of stockholders and what action is intended to be taken by the management in the event of a negative vote on the matter by the stockholders.
O. Item 15. Amendment of Charter, By-Laws, or Other Documents. If action is to be taken with respect to any amendment of the insurer’s charter, by-laws or other documents as to which information is not required above, state briefly the reasons for and general effect of such amendment and the vote needed for its approval.
4.12 Information To Be Included In Statement Filed By Or On Behalf Of A Participant (Other Than The Insurer) In A Proxy Solicitation In An Election Contest.
A. Item 1. Insurer. State the name and address of the insurer.
B. Item 2. Identify and Background.
1. State the Following:
a. Your name and business address
b. Your present principal occupation or employment and the name, principal business and address of any corporation or other organization in which such employment is carried on.
2. State the following:
a. Your residence address.
b. Information as to all material occupations, positions, officers or employment’s during the last ten years, giving starting and ending dates of each and the name, principal business and address of any business corporation or other business organization in which each such occupation, position, officer or employment was carried on.
3. State whether or not you are or have been a participant in any other proxy contest involving this company or other companies within the past ten years. If so, identify the principals, the subject matter and your relationship to the parties and the outcome.
4. State whether or not, during the past ten years, you have been convicted in a criminal proceeding (excluding traffic violation or similar misdemeanors) and, if so, five dates, nature of conviction, name and location of court, and penalty imposed or other disposition of the case. A negative answer to this sub-item need not be included in the proxy statement or other proxy soliciting material.
C. Item 3. Interest in Stock of the Insurer.
1. State the amount of each class of stock of the insurer which you own beneficially, directly or indirectly.
2. State the amount of each class of stock of the insurer which you own of record but not beneficially.
3. State with respect to the stock specified in § 4.12(C)(1) & (2) of this Part the amounts acquired within the past two years, the dates of acquisition and the amounts acquired on each date.
4. If any part of the purchases price or market value of any of the stock specified in § 4.12(C)(3) of this Part is represented by funds borrowed or otherwise obtained for the purpose of acquiring or holding such stock, so state and indicate the amount of the indebtedness as of the latest practicable date. If such funds were borrowed or obtained otherwise than pursuant to a margin account or bank loan in the regular course of business of a bank, broker or dealer, briefly describe the transaction, and state the names of the parties.
5. State whether or not you are a party to any contracts, arrangements or understandings with any person with respect to any stock of the insurer, including but not limited to joint ventures, loan or option arrangements, puts or calls, guarantees against loss or guarantees of profits, division of losses or profits, of the giving or withholding of proxies. If so name the persons with whom such contracts, arrangements, or understandings exist and give the details thereof.
6. State the amount of stock of the insurer owned beneficially, directly or indirectly, by each of your associates and the name and address of each such associate.
7. State the amount of each class of stock of any parent, subsidiary or affiliate of the insurer which you own beneficially, directly or indirectly.
D. Item 4. Further Matters.
1. Describe the time and circumstances under which you became a participant in the solicitation and state the nature and extent of your activities or proposed activities as a participant.
2. Describe briefly, and where practicable state the approximate amount of, any material interest, direct or indirect, of yourself and of each of your associates in any material transaction since the beginning of the company’s last fiscal year, or in any material proposed transactions, to which the company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates was or is to be a party
3. State whether or not you or any of your associates have any arrangement or understanding with any person.
a. with respect to any future employment by the insurer or its subsidiaries or affiliates; or
b. with respect to any future transactions to which the insurer or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates will or may be a party.
c. If so, describe such arrangement or understanding and state the names of the parties thereto.
E. Item 5. Signature. The statement shall be dated and signed in the following manner:
(Signature of participant or Authorized representative)
|Title||230||Department of Business Regulation (includes the Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner)|
|Subchapter||45||Financial Standards and Corporate Operations|
|Part||4||Proxies, Consents and Authorizations of Domestic Stock Insurers|
|Type of Filing||Technical Revision|
Regulation Authority :
R.I. Gen. Laws § 27-4.2-3A(6)
Purpose and Reason :
This Technical Revision is being promulgated to reformat this rule into the RICR Code format. No substantive changes were made to this rule.