Declaratory Order Petitions (180-RICR-30-00-2)
This regulation is promulgated pursuant to the authority granted in R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-35-8.
A. The following definitions shall apply to this regulation:
1. "Declaratory Order" means an order issued by the Department that:
a. Interprets or applies a statute administered by the Department;
b. Clarifies whether a rule, guidance document, or order issued by the Department applies to a Petitioner; or
c. Clarifies how a rule, guidance document, or order issued by the Department applies to a Petitioner.
2. "Department" means Rhode Island Office of Veterans Affairs.
3. "Petition" means a request for a Declaratory Order.
4. "Petitioner" means a person requesting a Declaratory Order.
A. A request for Declaratory Order must be in writing and include the following information:
1. The name and address of the Petitioner;
2. A plain statement identifying the statute, rule, guidance document, or order at issue;
3. A detailed statement of all facts relied upon by the Petitioner;
4. A copy of any and all documents relied upon by Petitioner that are not otherwise accessible to the Department; and
5. A plain statement requesting a Declaratory Order, and further indicating whether Petitioner seeks:
a. An interpretation or application of a statute administered by the Department;
b. Clarification as to whether a rule, guidance document, or order issued by the Department applies to Petitioner; and/or
c. Clarification as to how a rule, guidance document, or order issued by the Department applies to Petitioner.
B. A request for a Declaratory Order must be submitted to: RI Office of Veterans Affairs, 560 Jefferson Boulevard, Suite 206, Warwick, RI 02886.
A. The Department shall promptly consider and respond to the request for Declaratory Order as provided in R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-35-8(c).
1. Should the Department schedule the matter for further consideration, the Department shall notify Petitioner in writing of the anticipated date on which the Department will grant or deny the request for Declaratory Order.
B. The agency may, at its discretion:
1. Hold a hearing for further consideration and discussion on the Petition; or
2. Request further information or documents from the Petitioner necessary for the full evaluation of his or her petition.
C. A Petitioner may appeal the Department's final disposition of the request for Declaratory Order as provided in R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-35-15.
|Title||180||The Office of Veterans Affairs|
|Part||2||Declaratory Order Petitions (180-RICR-30-00-2)|
|Type of Filing||Direct Final Adoption|
Regulation Authority :
R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-35-8(b)
Purpose and Reason :
This adoption states the requirements for submitting a request for Declaratory Order under R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-35-8(b), and the procedure for its consideration and prompt disposition.