Library of Rhode Island Standards and Regulations (220-RICR-60-15-03)
|Title||220||Department of Administration|
|Chapter||60||Enterprise Technology Strategy and Service|
|Subchapter||15||Library and Information Services|
|Part||3||Library of Rhode Island Standards and Regulations (220-RICR-60-15-03)|
|Type of Filing||Amendment|
|Regulation Status||Proposed View Active Rule|
|Filing Notice Date||10/01/2019|
|Filing Hearing Date(s)||10/16/2019
|Public Comment Dates||10/01/2019 to 10/31/2019
Regulation Authority :
R.I. Gen. Laws § 29-3.1-4.1, 29-3.1-7 and 29-6-9
Purpose and Reason :
R.I. Gen. Laws § 29-6-9 charges the Office of Library and Information Services to administer and develop a program of statewide resource sharing and interlibrary cooperation. The regulatory change will clarify and more clearly articulate requirements for libraries to participate in the Library of Rhode Island (LORI), a network that provides qualified libraries with a system to share materials with other LORI libraries for the benefit of Rhode Island residents.
List of Changes to Regulatory Status Quo
• Added definitions for librarian, library types, and library director that specify criteria for these terms.
• 3.3A. Clarifies legal requirements, adding specific statutory requirements.
• 3.3 B. Clarifies by quantifying how libraries must be staffed.
• 3.3 D. Clarifies by quantifying the minimum number of hours that libraries must be staffed and open to their clientele.
• 3.3 I. Simplifies the assignment of LORI responsibilities that must be carried out by library staff.
• 3.5 B. Specifies the procedure for a library to report another library’s alleged failure to comply with the Regulations.